IFMR full time MBA 2018 - 20 Admissions: FAQs
- Indian Nationals with consistent academic record (any discipline) who have completed a full time or part time graduation (but NOT correspondence/ distance education / online program / degree) from Central/ Deemed / State Government/ State Private universities are eligible to apply.
- Non Resident Indians who have studied abroad must get a certificate from the Indian Embassy or Consulate that their University is recognized by the statutory authorities of that country.
- Academics- Applicant should have at least 60% in class X and Class XII, and at least 55% in Graduation.
- Age /Date of Birth –Applicants should have been born on/after 1st January 1991 and on/before 31st December 1999.
- Students who are in the final year of their graduation, AND are scheduled to complete their course including examinations and viva voce/ project etc., not later than May 2018, with results thereof scheduled to be available not later than November 2018, ARE also eligible to apply.
- All applicants are required to have a valid score from any of the following standardized examinations - CAT 2017, XAT 2018, CMAT 2018 or GRE/GMAT taken on or after 1st January 2015.
- However for the purpose of filling the application form, it is sufficient if the applicant has registered for any of these exams and is able to provide the registration number thereof, provided the results of the exam are available at the time of the selection process. Applicants will get an opportunity to upload their scores when the results of these exams are announced. In case of CMAT, the registration numbers have not yet been issued, and applicants will be sent a link to update their CMAT registration number in our form after AICTE announces that hall tickets can be downloaded.
- A gap of one year between completion of Class XII and Commencement of College will not disqualify you.
- For e.g. if you completed class XII in 2011 and started your graduation course in 2012, the gap is only one year and you are eligible to apply.
- The duration between the month and year, you completed your graduation, and 1st December 2017, minus the period of your work experience should be less than one year.
- For example if you graduated in June 2016, joined employment on 1st October 2016 and quit it on 31st March 2017 – then your gap is calculated as follows
- 1st Step: 1st December 2017 minus 30th June 2016 = 9 + 8 = 17 months
- 2nd Step: 31st March 2017 minus 1st October 2016 = 6 months.
- 3rd Step: Gap = 17 months minus 6 months = 11 months.
- Regardless of whether you pay your fees in March upon being selected through the Early Decision Round, or later through the General Round, you will lose only one thousand rupees, as long as you with draw before 31st May 2018.
- From whatever you have paid, only one thousand rupees will be deducted and the balance will be returned to you.
- IFMR is committed to refunding your money at the earliest, and we do not discourage and/or penalise withdrawing applicants by delaying the refund.
- The time taken to get your refund depends on the number of withdrawals we have to process at that time, and adequacy of information provided by you (details of bank to which you want the refund to be credited, etc.)
- Usually refunds for early withdrawals (i.e. before 15th May) do not take more than two weeks, but late withdrawals (after 15th May) may take a maximum of four weeks.
- IFMR will admit up to a maximum of 240 students for the batch of MBA (2018-20)
- Work experience is desirable but is NOT mandatory.
- IFMR has always had a healthy mix of fresh graduates and those with work experience.
- Those with work experience should have less than or equal to 3 years of experience as of 1st December 2017.
- IFMR has two rounds of admission for the MBA batch (2018-20)
- The Early Decision Round is dedicated to those applicants who are/were currently employed and have work experience of 12 months to 36 months as of 1st December 2017. This round is designed to enable selected applicants to fulfill their notice period and still join the program in time.
- The General Round is open to all applicants, who may or may not be currently employed.
- Candidates who have work experience and are currently not employed can apply to through the Early Decision Round or the General Round.
- Candidates without any work experience, or less than the required work experience (for the Early Decision Round), if shortlisted will be called for selection process only in the General Round.
- IFMR has two rounds of admission for the MBA batch (2018-20).
- The Early Decision Round is dedicated to those applicants who are / were employed and have work experience of 12 months to 36 months as of 1st December 2017. The deadline for this round is 15th January 2018. The selection process for this round will be held in February 2018.
- The General Round is open to all applicants, who may or may not be currently employed. The extended deadline for this round is 19th February 2018. The selection process for this round will be held in March 2018.
- IFMR has two cut off levels: standard cut off and a relaxed cut off (only for achievers).
- The standard cut off percentile is CAT (80), XAT (80), CMAT (90), GRE/GMAT Quant (80) Verbal (80)
- The relaxed cut off percentile for achievers is CAT(70), XAT (70), CMAT (75), GRE/GMAT Quant (80) Verbal (70)
- Relaxation is provided for achievements across many (but not all) domains of human endeavour, and these are - Workplace, Academics, Sports, Debate, Drama, Other Performing Arts (but not fine arts), Moot Court, NCC (but not NSS) Volunteering, and Activism.
- Based on Achievements listed in the application form, an applicant gets the benefit of provisional relaxation of cut off at the time of shortlisting, but this provisional relaxation is not binding. The achievements claimed by the applicant, are verified during the selection process, both with regard to documentary evidence and in person, oral articulation of the details of the achievements. If the admission committee is not satisfied with the verification of achievements, then the provisional relaxation will be dropped and the applicant would be evaluated against the standard cut off. However non verifiability of achievements is not held against the applicant, unless it is obvious to the committee that the applicant has explicitly made a false declaration.
- Nearly 40% of applicants report substantial Achievements in their application form, and earn relaxation at the time of shortlisting, but only half of these stand up to scrutiny, and the batch usually contains less than 20% students who have enjoyed relaxation in cut off. More than 80% of the students at IFMR have qualified only on the basis of the standard cut off without any relaxation.
- Almost every year, IFMR has got students with 99th percentile in CAT/XAT and CMAT.
- The table below shows the spread of scores in IFMR.
|Top 25% students||88||91||98|
|Middle 50% students||84||87||95|
|Bottom 25 % students||80||80||91|
However in case of GRE and GMAT, the overall percentile is not reported by the respective test conducting agencies. That is why our form requires section wise scores on Quant and Verbal.
- We decide the cities in which to do the selection process based on the enquiries we receive between June and November, and also the preceding years’ numbers of shortlisted applicants from those cities.
- This year, to select the MBA batch (2018-20) we have two rounds of admission.
- For our Early Decision Round, the selection process scheduled Feb 2018 is expected be held at the following seven Indian cities - Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, and Pune – subject to a viable number of shortlisted candidates in each of these centers.
- For our General Round, the selection process scheduled in March 2018 is expected be held at the following 20 Indian cities, subject to a viable number of shortlisted candidates in each of these centers.
East Zone - Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Kolkata, Patna, Raipur, Ranchi
North Zone – Chandigarh, Dehradun, Delhi, Jaipur, Lucknow
South Zone – Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kochi
West Zone – Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune.
- Sometimes we do not get enough shortlisted applicants choosing one center and then it is not viable for us to travel to that city to meet only a few applicants. For e.g. last year, we had this problem with Mangalore. We then asked the few shortlisted applicants who had selected Mangalore as their center (in their admission form) to attend the selection process at any other center of their choice. All of them attended the selection process either at Bangalore, Pune or Mumbai.
- While announcing the shortlist, we also announce the city wise dates of the selection process.
- This year, to select the MBA batch (2018-20) we have two rounds of admission.
- For our Early Decision Round, the selection process is scheduled in Feb 2018 and the shortlist for the same will be announced by the 22nd of January 2018.
- For our General Round, the selection process is scheduled in March 2018 and the shortlist for the same will be announced by the 8th March 2018.
The program is Master of Business Administration (MBA).
You can major in any of the following
Human Resources Management
Finance and Control
Operations and Information Systems
You can minor in any of above except Financial Engineering, and Data Sciences –both of which are available only as a major.
Apart from the above listed areas, you can also minor in any of the following
BFSI (Banking Financial Services and Insurance)
Strategy and General Management
Please note the MBA degree finally awarded by IFMR would not indicate the Major and Minor.
Our MBA course is offered by the Department of Management Studies (DOMS) of the IFMR University and hence DOES NOT REQUIRE approval from the AICTE. Only courses offered by private institutes and affiliated colleges require AICTE approval.
This has been confirmed by the Supreme Court of India in September 2001 while dealing with the case “Bharathidasan University & Anr. vs. All India Council for Technical Education & Ors. Appeal (civil) 2056 of 1999”
India is unique in having a course called PGDM and students who go abroad for a job/ higher studies have to get certificate that their PGDM is equivalent to an MBA.
Therefore MBA has higher value than a PGDM. The Government of India recognized this and passed the IIM Act 2017, allowing IIMs to offer MBA instead of PGDM. Because of this change, the value of PGDM will fall in the eyes of the recruiters.
Anticipating this situation, IFMR applied to the AP government and was conferred the status of State Private University vide Gazette Notification number GO MS.No.23 in May 2017.
Hence starting from the batch of 2017-19 IFMR now offers the MBA course.
High ratio of full time faculty: students @ 1:12, 75% have Ph.D., balance 25% from Corporates – former CEO/ VP - Faculty qualified from IIM A, B, C, L, I, K, IIT – K, M, MDI, IIFT, within India, and from British Columbia, Connecticut, Minnesota, Texas, Stanford, Wisconsin. This translates to a demanding program where you are pushed to your limits and beyond. Over the duration of the course, you will be pleasantly surprised to discover that your capabilities exceed your own track record.
Every student is assigned a faculty mentor who will work with you over the two years and help you build yourself to your full potential. These mentors help you identify your strengths and identify methods for you to overcome your weaknesses. They also assist you in deciding your specialization, delivering value in your summer internship and making your career choices. Often IFMR students stay in touch with their mentors up to one year after completing the course. Obviously they find value in our mentoring system.
Diversity at IFMR is evidenced by students from 20 States, 100 towns/ cities, all 6 major religions of India, speaking 12 out of the 22 languages listed in the schedule of the Constitution, 33% women, and 50:50 ratio of Work Ex : Fresh Grads; this prepares you to work with people of different perspectives, work styles and across India. No wonder our alumni regularly join us in our interview panels, when we conduct selection process across India.
IFMR has a tradition of hiring the best minds from both India and abroad. We have faculty not only from the IITs and IIMs, but also from premier universities of the USA. IFMR has been the fore-runner of many policy initiatives (like Financial Inclusion) and corporate innovations.
IFMR’s HT Parekh Library has electronic journal access through EBSCO, JSTOR and Science Digest, Corporate database prowess, Capita Line, etc. apart from a rich collection of books and multimedia material; It is recognized as a World Bank Repository.
- For meritorious students, IFMR offers scholarship worth Rupees Two Lakh Fifty Thousand across the course, as follows.
- Based on the merit list drawn at the time of selection, the top 10% of students would get a scholarship certificate worth Rupees One Lakh. This scholarship certificate can be used to partly pay the 2nd fee instalment due in the month of November 2018. (I.e. pay only Rupees Four Lakh instead of Rupees Five lakh).
- Based on performance in the first year of the MBA course, the top 10% of students (based on CGPA), would get a scholarship certificate worth Rupees One Lakh. This scholarship certificate can be used to partly pay the 3rd fee instalment due in the month of June 2019. (I.e. pay only Rupees Three Lakh instead of Rupees Four lakh)
- Based on the academic performance (CGPA) during the two years, top performers of the batch will be given a merit scholarship on the following scale. This will be in the form of an account payee cheque drawn in the name of the student.
- First Rank – Rupees Two Lakh Fifty Thousand only
- Next Three Students – Rupees One Lakh Fifty Thousand only
- Students, other than the above four, and are in the top 10% of the batch - Rupees Fifty Thousand only
- Yes. IFMR has a 100% placement record since inception. For latest information on our placement
- Our alumni are well-placed in leadings firms across various sectors such as Investment Banking, IT, Insurance, Manufacturing, SCM, FMCG & Microfinance.
- The organizations include - Accenture, Akshaya, Amba Research, Astrazeneca, Bajaj Finance, Bank of America, Batlivala & Karani, BNP Paribas, Capgemini, Capital First Ltd, CBRE Group Inc., Chola Finance, Cognizant, Credit Suisse, Deloitte, FINO, Genpact, HCL, HDFC Bank, HSBC, Hyundai, ICICI Bank, IDFC Mutual Fund, i-Nautix, Infosys, Irevna, ITC, Janalakshmi Fin Serv., JP Morgan, Kotak Mahindra, L&T Nomura, Navitas Consulting, Novartis, Olam International, Rane Group, SBI Caps, Shell, South Indian Bank, Syntel, TCS, Temenos, Vedanta, Vernalis Systems, VoiceGate, Wipro, Zafin etc.
- Marketing roles at IFMR are Business Banking, Dealer Management, Pre Sales, Product Management, Relationship Management, and Sales.
- Finance roles at IFMR are Credit, Risk and Trading
- Financial Engineering roles at IFMR are Pricing, Hedging and Algorithmic Trading
- Operations roles at IFMR are Analyst, Process Migration Specialist, and Process Manager
- Data Science students at IFMR get the role of Data Scientist
- Consulting roles at IFMR are Business Analyst, Domain Consultant, and, Functional Consultant.
- Human Resources roles at IFMR are Talent Acquisition, Learning & Development.
- While IFMR does not have an exclusive tie up with any bank, given the high credibility IFMR enjoys in the market, IFMR, is able to facilitate students availing educational loans from leading banks / financial institutions.
- Upon providing them the selection letter from IFMR, many banks and NBFCs will give loan without any collateral.
- For the past few years along with the offer of admission from IFMR, the applicant also receives a sanctioned loan letter from a Bank and an NBFC. Last year it was from Axis Bank and AVANSE / CREDILA.
- Fresh graduates will need to have their parent or sibling or other earning member of their family sign their application form as co-guarantor.
- However, those with work experience may not even need a co-guarantor.
The total fee is Rs.12.00 lakhs for the two years. The fee covers tuition, books & materials, library membership, examination fee, and IT charges. The fee does not cover a Laptop and applicants are required to bring their own Laptop at their own cost. Given below is the schedule for payment of the fees..
|1. Admission cum first installment fee||Rs. 3,00,000/-|
|2. Refundable Caution Deposit (Both payable in March 2018 / April 2018 against offer of admission)||Rs. 50,000/-|
|3. Second installment fee during November 2018||Rs. 5,00,000/-|
|4. Third & final installment - June 2019||Rs. 4,00,000/-|
Living expenses will be extra and it is estimated that the boarding & lodging would together be approximately Rs.1,20,000/- per annum. For the first year, this is to be paid at time of registration at our campus in June 2018. For the 2nd year, it is payable in June 2019 while checking into the hostel.
IFMR has the prestigious SAQS (South Asian Quality Assurance System) accreditation from AMDISA (Association of Management Development Institutions in South Asia). See here for details.
IFMR is consistently ranked high among all B-Schools.
National HRD Network (2016) has accorded the 27th Rank – among all colleges - private and government run.
The Hindu BusinessLine- B-school ranking (2017) has accorded the 22nd rank – among all colleges - private and government run.
- Careers360 – an independent portal, has accorded 13th rank among private B’Schools.
- IFMR has built a world class campus spread over 40 acres in Sri City, 70 km from Chennai.
- Sri City is located strategically along National Highway-5 on the border of two industrialized States, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- It is India's fastest growing integrated Business City spread over 8000 acres, with a multi-product Special Economic Zone (SEZ), Domestic Tariff Zone (DTZ), Institutional and Lifestyle zones, master planned and designed to figure in any select list of Asia's top five Business Cities.
- IFMR's new campus is an academic Centre of Excellence in the midst of global organizations setting up world class manufacturing plants in Sri City to cater to Indian and export markets. These include Alstom, Kobelco, Danielli, Colgate, Cadburys, Pepsico, Kellogs, Isuzu Motors, and a large number of Japanese, American and European corporations.
- The Institute has a built-up area of 300,000 sq. ft. that covers the fully air conditioned main academic block, consisting of classrooms, computer labs, seminar halls, faculty cabins, library, meeting rooms, finance and accounts sections, placement cells, residential hostels, a cafeteria with dine-in services, faculty and staff housing and a Management Development Centre residence.
- The campus has been designed to give easy access to the physically challenged.
- Hostel rooms are equipped with attached baths, occupied on a twin-sharing basis.
- Separate gym for boys and girls and indoor games [table tennis, etc] is available.
- Facilities are provided for playing badminton, cricket, football, volley ball courts, and more, help students unwind and relax after hours of classes.
- An open air auditorium and more recreation facilities have also been set up.
- A beautiful water body, a walkway and enough greenery makes the campus aesthetically and physically soothing.
- The entire campus is Wi-fi enabled. Complete security and safety are built in as basic requirements.
The Medical officer (doctor) appointed by the Institute visits every day evening around 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (except Thursdays). Alternately the students could use the facilities of Frontline Hospital at Sri City.
From Chennai International Airport – The Institute is at a driving distance of 90 km – about 2 hours 15 mins from Chennai International Airport.
From Tirupathi International Airport – The Institute is at a driving distance of 80 km – about 1 hour 45 mins from Tirupathi International Airport.
From Chennai Central Railway Station - The Institute is at a driving distance of 70 km – about 1 hour 30 mins from Chennai Central Railway Station.
From Sullurpeta Railway Station - The Institute is at a driving distance of 26 km – about 30 mins from Sullurpeta Railway Station.
From Tada Railway Station - The Institute is at a driving distance of 9 km – about 10 mins from Tada Railway Station.
From Koyambedu Bus Station (CMBT -Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus) – Sri City, is at a distance of 72 Kms, i.e. 2 km before TADA town on the NH5. There are buses leaving Chennai Koyamedu Bus Stand at least once every half an hour on the NH5. Since TADA is the first stop within AP, all buses leaving Chennai for AP will pass through TADA (bus fare is around Rs 50)
There is a shuttle service operated by Sri City (P) Ltd, by which one can travel between TADA and IFMR campus. This shuttle runs every half hour b/w 7 am and 6 pm. Apart from this share autos ply this route and are also available for hire on exclusive basis.
Tada: From Chennai Central the closest Railway Station to Sri City is Tada. There are local trains running almost every hour to and from Chennai Central to Tada Railway Station. Travel time by Chennai Local Train to Tada is 1 Hour 45 minutes.
Schedule of Daily Trains from Chennai Central to TADA:
Schedule of Daily Trains from TADA to Chennai Central: